Local honest and reliable. Contact us now:
877-425-7755 / 310-430-2300

Local honest and reliable. Contact us now:

877-425-7755 310-430-2300
Carbon Monoxide Detectors

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is often called the “Invisible Killer” because it is a poisonous gas that is without color or odor and is easily produced. CO is the result of the incomplete burning of fuels, including coal, oil, propane, wood, kerosene, and natural gas. And machinery powered by these types of fuels, such as lawnmowers and cars, produce huge amounts of CO. Malfunctioning equipment such as furnaces and water and room heaters or fireplaces and products burning charcoal have been found to cause about 170 deaths every year from the CO. Symptoms of CO poisoning include initial ones, such as headaches, fatigue, nausea, and dizziness; high level poisoning includes mental confusion, vomiting , loss of consciousness and muscle coordinating, and ultimately, death.

Early versions of the CO detector were white pads that faded to a mottled brown or black if CO was present in the vicinity. However, since these did not feature a sound alarm and required the homeowner to visually inspect the sensor regularly, visual detectors were replaced by the now-standard audible alarm. Alarms are based on a concentration-time function, which means tripping the alarm depends on the concentration of CO and how long that concentration lasts; lower concentrations will not set it off for nearly 10 to 30 minutes, but higher concentrations will in less than five.

Currently, the dominant technology in the US and Europe is the electrochemical CO detector, a type of fuel cell that produces a current that increases in relation to the amount of CO in the atmosphere. This type of sensor is highly accurate, requiring minimal power and boasts a lifetime of 5 years or more.

BK Electric is knowledgeable in this area and can advise you in purchasing the right detector for your home as well helping you find the correct place to install it. We will make sure that you’ll be able to live securely and comfortably in your home.